Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Quiet Riot - Metal Health (Bang Your Head)



Ah, Quiet Riot. Highly rememberable hard rock band of the eighties. The band that introduced Randy Rhoads to the world. Still touring with zero original members. Somehow still in existence.

I saw Quiet Riot live on the 2023 Jericho Cruise. We could debate whether or not the four gentlemen who performed on the 2023 Jericho Cruise, should call themselves Quiet Riot, but whatever, “names.” The four gentlemen claiming to represent Quiet Riot on that ship, were damn good at playing all the Quiet Riot songs I remember, and I had fun. So, no compliments on my end.

The Quiet Riot songs I remember…. well I might as well be honest, like most people I only meaningfully remember two Quiet Riot songs, “Metal Health (Bang Your Head)” and “Cum on Feel the Noise.” The later of which is a Slade cover, and even though Quiet Riot’s version is probably more famous, it is still a cover, so arguably, I am like most people in that I only meaningfully remember one Quiet Riot song, “Metal Health.”

While I battle the endless war against personal ignorance, I wonder sometimes if casual fans, like myself, remember Quiet Riot as principally important as they are because of their early significance. To be fair to myself, I was not yet born when Quiet Riot began. I had to check the dates, but by the time 1983’s “Metal Health” was released about half a year before my birth, and by that time Randy Rhodes, the only member of the band I ever memorized the name of was already gone. The historical significance of Quiet Riot is important, if for no other reason than, they were the first hard rock, or metal, band to find themselves on the charts. Other then Ozzy Osbourne, it is hard to remember anything metal gaining much in the way of commercial success, ever really.

The eighties hair metal scene blew up after Quiet Riot and it is fair to say they were instrumental in that cultural shift. Casual fans like me remember Quiet Riot for that more than anything. Which is likely why, someone like me is equal part impressed and amused, with everything that happened thereafter. Even now, I am pondering, “did I really see Quiet Riot on the Jericho Cruise, or did I just see one of the most dedicated and talented cover acts of all time.” I am not going to argue or challenge the legal, or artistic continued use of the band name, I am sure that is all good and right, but I still find it amusing that literally zero members of the original Quiet Riot are still present. Like are they still Quiet Riot anymore? I am not sure I care enough to protest, nor am I fully confident that is a fair criticism.

There are other Quiet Riot hits for me to listen to, and appreciate more, and seeing two shows live on a cruise ship is certainly strong motivation. However, I still need to find the time to slip those listen hours into what is already a packed playlist. I promised that guy in the gym I was going to listen to Dream Theatre’s first two albums, and I mean to. Priorities you know. In the in between time I see no reason not to celebrate what I already know and love, and like most people I love “Metal Health.”

The concept of the rock anthem songs, you know what I mean, rock songs that are mostly about being rock songs, can be uninspired and uninteresting sometimes. This is always a gamble when making something as generic as a song about partying and rocking out, however Quiet Riot are different with their song “Metal Health” for a few reasons. First of all, this is metal not rock, and while the distinction blurs infinitely, as all genres do, there is a difference to be noted, and especially for “Metal Health,” for it is among the first metal anthem songs to ever exist and almost certainly the first famous one. Also, “Metal Health” avoids being generic or typical, by being “Metal Health.” In the event I am being too cheeky, “Metal Health” is simply too good of a song to ever have an ordinary fate.

I got to hear Quiet Riot perform “Metal Health” twice on the cruise ship. The first time was the closer for their first show on the first night, Chris Jericho sang with them, and it was great. The second time was less exciting but I did get to enjoy their second show from a hot tub, which sure was a nice experience. Here is the video I recorded on my phone of the former:

Live - 2023 Chris Jericho Cruise - Featuring Chris Jericho:

I have nothing more of importance to share on this subject at this time. I would see this line up of Quiet Riot again, they rocked the boat, and I respect the hell out of that.

Until next month, keep on rocking in the free world.

- King of Braves

No comments:

Post a Comment