Search This Blog

Thursday, January 30, 2020

DeVotchKa - How it Ends



After rambling about the original Gears of War trailer in my last review, I am naturally thinking of the equally good Gears of War 2 Trailer. Specifically, the “Last Day” trailer:

Gears of War 2 Trailer "Last Day":

A part of me feels silly revisiting this topic, cool trailers for games I never played. However, I felt this second trailer was significant, just because it was this trailer, the Gears of War 2 “Last Day” that started the last review’s talking point. I was watching TV with some friends and Gears of War 2 “Last Day” trailer hit, and one of my friends asked in earnest, “when did video game trailers get better than movie trailers?”

That is how we arrived here.

Good song selection is clearly a key component to the quality of these trailers. An abridged version of “How it Ends” by DeVotchKa accompanies the Gears of War 2 trailer “Last Day.” They wisely jump to the highest emotional moment of the song, the final chorus.

“And you already know,
Yeah, you already know,
How this will end.”


This trailer was the first time I ever heard “How it Ends” and it had an affect on me.

I never played any of the Gears of War games but given how dark the theming of the games appeared to be, my imagination conjured up a horrible ending. The main character seemed too badass to die, and since it is a video game with sequels he sort of needed to survive for the franchise to continue, so I always speculated that probably his wife is killed horribly by the horrific monsters we see glimpses of in the trailers and humanity badly loses the battle. I have no idea if I am correct, but that trailer gave me a lot of confidence that my first wild guess should be correct. After all, apparently, I already knew how it will end.

DeVotchKa is very different band. They are sort of an indie rock band, but they do not really sound like anything else I listen to. A quick examination of their lineup reveals a lot:
  • Nick Urata – vocals, guitars, piano, trumpet, theremin, bouzouki
  • Tom Hagerman – violin, accordion, piano, melodica
  • Jeanie Schroder – sousaphone, bass, vocals, flute
  • Shawn King – drums, percussion, trumpet, accordion, organ
What a list. I do not even know what a bouzouki is. There was a time when I thought the sousaphone was a fictional instrument that the writers of Venture Bros just made up; but it turns out that it is a real instrument.

It is safe to say the musicians of DeVotchKa are multitalented. It is also, safe to say, that DeVotchKa are a highly experimental band. I have listened to a number of DeVotchKa’s early albums, and I liked many of their songs, but I found it hard to find any sort of consistency in style from one song to the next. A problem many musicians face is repetitiveness, and DeVotchKa has completely avoided that by branching out with a vast variety of instruments and sounds. I would be lying if I said I loved DeVotchKa the band, though I do enjoy them, but I have always found them compelling, and that might be more worthy of respect then simple enjoyment.

I do however love their song “How it Ends.”

As a huge fan of string instruments, I thoroughly enjoy the use of violin, piano, bass and guitar. Combine all that with some heavily emotional lyrics and it makes sense that “How it Ends” would greatly appeal to me.

How does it end? Normally I try to dissect lyrics by piecemeal, but I do not think I can do that here.

“Hold your grandmother's bible to your breast.
Going put it to the test.
You want it to be blessed.
And in your heart,
You know it to be true,
You know what you got to do.
They all depend on you.


And you already know.
Yeah, you already know how this will end.

There is no escape,
From the slave-catchers' songs.
For all of the loved ones gone.
Forever's not so long.
And in your soul,
They poked a million holes.
But you never let them show.
Come on it's time to go.

And you already know.
Yeah, you already know how this will end.

Now you've seen his face.
And you know that there's a place,
In the sun,
For all that you've done,
For you and your children.
No longer shall you need.
You always wanted to believe,
Just ask and you'll receive,
Beyond your wildest dreams.

And you already know.
Yeah, you already know how this will end.”


The most obvious conclusion is that “How it Ends” is about death. It is hard to argue with this assertion. Death is the unavoidable end of everything. All that lives are born to die, and we all already how this. I do not disagree with this interpretation; however, I believe there is more going on in these lyrics then an acknowledgement of mortality.

From the first line, it should be obvious that religion is part of this song, but what I like is that there is a level ambiguity as to whether or not this is a song about keeping faith or losing it. The final verse strongly suggests that god’s face appears before the subject and that the place in the sun is presumably heaven, thus faith confirmed. There is no escaping the slave-catcher, who I guess represents death, and when it comes time to go, there is an after life waiting.

I often comment how I like sad lyrics with an upbeat melody, but “How it Ends” sort of does the opposite; there are uplifting lyrics with a very somber sound.

In between each lyrical piece there is a bridge that plays like a mad dance. These manic moments really drive a feeling of confusion into the song. Almost like an untrustworthy narration is at play, and this is what gives me pause about confirming faith as a true message of this song. In your soul they poke a million holes, and maybe, despite the verses strongly, desperately even, holding to hope, maybe the chorus reveals the opposite. You always wanted to believe, but you already know how it really ends. Maybe forever is not so long because, maybe forever in this context is nil and there is no afterlife, and deep down even the most devoted know this.

Either interpretation is available to the listener, and perhaps many more. Few songs are so inspiringly beautiful but simultaneously crushing. Very emotional.

Then the song ends with the long chilling violin outro.  Probably my favorite part.

Whenever I write these reviews, I listen to the song at least a dozen or more times as I write, and you know what I never noticed before? I never noticed that DeVotchKa “How it Ends” is seven minutes in length. Whenever this song comes up randomly on one of my playlists, I typically listen to it twice, that is fourteen minutes, and it never felt that long. It truly is an engrossing song.

It may seem odd, that I used two video game trailers as introductory points to open a dialogue about two songs I like, but that is how I experienced these songs. A song like “How it Ends” invokes a lot of thoughts in me, and some of them are forever linked back to Gears of War. Also, it makes me think about death and people’s very complicated feelings about faith. Also, on a personal note, it makes me think of my own writings. I have a big epic story in my head, and it is as grand and grim and I already know how it ends, and it is as uplifting and harrowing as this song.

Until next month, keep on rocking in the free world.

- King of Braves

No comments:

Post a Comment