Search This Blog

Friday, December 31, 2021

Lord Huron - I Lied



Very similar to Band of Horses, I have been listening to Lord Huron, with approximately the same period of time and level of interest. Similar, but not identical, I figured out who Lord Huron was long before I figured out who Band of Horses are. Similar bands in some ways, their sounds are not unlike, and they fill the same indie rock with a folk/country influence nicely. Ultimately, I think I enjoy Lord Huron more, or at the least, at this moment in time, I listen to them more.

Three or four years ago, I made up my mind to do a review about Lord Huron, but I never got around to that. This happens a lot when you are an unpaid amateur mostly randomly rambling about various songs you like. Lord Huron is a California based indie rock band and have been active for just over an decade now. Based on my listening habits it would appear that I have been a fan since their inception.

My first love from Lord Huron are the songs “The Night we Met,” “Meet Me in the Woods” and “La Belle Fleur Sauvage.” (“The Beautiful Wild Flower,” I knew that one, my French lessons are starting to pay off). All three of these songs, plus a handful of others I enjoy, all come from Lord Huron’s second 2010 album “Strange Trails,” which by default is probably my favorite album of theirs. My favorite song by Lord Huron is probably “The Night we Met,” but that is not the song of the hour.

This year, 2021, Lord Huron released their fourth studio album “Long Lost,” The algorithm must have noticed how much I listen to “Strange Trails” and figured I would appreciate listening to new Lord Huron music, and it was correct this time. My favorite song by Lord Huron is possibly “I Lied.”

CPA accountant Colin Kelly was working away on some chaotic data set, when the algorithm auto-played “I Lied.” I went through the standard thoughts “this sounds like Lord Huron,” “is this a new song of theirs’, so it is,” “this is pretty good, wait what’s this?”

Some songs take several listens to familiarize oneself with the more impressive aspects of itself, other songs are simply, and they hook us in instantaneously. “I Lied” is the later. Three verses, and a two-word chorus:

“I Lied.”

So, you know, easy to sing along with.

It is the verses however that I love uppermost. The first two verses set the scene, a man lamenting his abandonment of his love. He thought he would love her forever, but he lied.

“I swore that I'd become a better man for you, and I tried.
Tried to change my ways and walk the line you follow.
I bore a flame that burned a thousand suns for you, but it died.
Told you I could never love somebody else, but I lied.

I told you I'd be coming back again for you, but I'm not.
Going way out where the world will never find me.
I made a claim that I would dance until we're bones with my bride.
Told you I would never leave you all alone, but I lied.”


Not going to lie, part of me longs to withdraw to somewhere where the world will never find me.

During my first listen, I was enjoying “I Lied” at this point. It was another song about heartbreak, but a little different than most insofar that the narrator was expressing meaningful regret in their own actions and feelings. The unfaithful, or whatever is happening, is flatly honest about their unwillingness to continue. He owns up to it, makes no excuses, and accepts his guilt. If you are going to leave someone, this is morally the least you can do.

Then the third verses hits, only this time feature guest musician Allison Pontheir sings:

“I read your letter in the morning by the lake and I cried.
They were tears of joy; my chains are finally broken.
I made a vow to stand beside you 'til the day that I die.
Told you I could never live without your love, but I lied.”


This chorus changes the entire complexion of the song. We hear from the woman being left and she is not heartbroken, she is relieved. Or to quote myself earlier, in life and on this blog post, “wait what’s this?” Suddenly, this song has a depth it was missing in it’s simplicity seconds ago. The shock of being left is a numb sadness compared to the quiet joy of freedom.

I am reminded, at least in part, of Gotye’s 2011 surprise super hit “Somebody That I Used to Know.” As that song was good with it’s first few choruses from the man Gotye himself, then the third and final verse is from the ex-lover’s perspective and her view point changes the narrative of the song entirely. It is a good maneuver, and I am likely to enjoy it when invoked again in future music.

Possible my favorite song from the entire year of 2021 is this one, Lord Huron “I Lied.”

Until next year, keep on rocking in the free world.

- King of Braves

No comments:

Post a Comment