Search This Blog

Friday, February 21, 2020

The Long Winters - The Commander Thinks Aloud



Space.

A lot of would be intellectuals like to claim an interest in space. I guess I fall into that category of human being. I have a strong appreciation for Science Fiction, ranging from Star Wars to the original Gundam series. I have read multiple books by Jules Vern, HG Wells, Isaac Asimov and Orson Scott Card. Also, I have read multiple Carl Sagan and Neil DeGrasse Tyson books, I even watched both versions of Cosmos. I retained a lot of knowledge from my lone Astronomy 101 course I took in University, I blew one of my friend’s mind once when I explained tidal forces created by the moon did not just affect bodies of water on Earth, but was also the source of all geothermal activity, and yes, they we were smoking marijuana at the time.

So yeah, I like space. I like the vastness of the subject. I know enough to impress people, but I also know enough to know that there is a lot more I do not know then that which I do.

My good friend, the one I mention most frequently on this blog, the same friend I explained tidal forces too, knowing my appreciation for astronomy and my fondness of indie rock recommend to me the indie rock song The Long Winters “The Commander Thinks Aloud.”

Of all the possible musical suggestions made to me in my life, “The Commander Thinks Aloud” is one of the perfect recommendations.

From a literalist perspective “The Commander Thinks Aloud” is about the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster. In 2003 the Space Shuttle Columbia was disintegrated while re-entering the atmosphere. All seven astronauts were killed instantly.

Great choice of topic, but that alone is not what makes “The Commander Thinks Aloud” special. How this story is told by song writer John Roderick is very important. It might be a trite thing to say, but “The Commander Thinks Aloud” is a poem. A deliberate effort has been made not to make the song overly obvious or focused on actions and events, but instead the focus is on emotions and thoughts.

What Roderick wanted to accomplish in this song was capturing what must pass through someone’s mind when they are aware their end is unavoidably approaching. The seven astronauts who perished onboard the Columbia knew they were not going to make it. There are many disasters which unfold in such a way, where the victims can see the end coming well before it arrives, and these moments of stillness swarmed around Roderick’s mind until this poem rushed out of him.

The opening verse is nothing more then a quick list of memories of little things that pass the mind. All the moments of tranquil peace or mundane basic existence flash pass by the Captain’s thinking as he faces down his own death.

“Boys and girls in cars.
Dogs and birds on lawns.
From here I can touch the sun.”


All the verses that follow are flat observations about the situation; putting their jackets on, passing the Tropic of Capricorn and the North Pole, feeling the returning influence of gravity, and radioing Houston. This poem comes forward like a stream of consciousness, exactly as the song title describes, the Commander says what he is observing. I think this is particularly gripping because that is how I imagine most people, myself included, would react to the situation. Every little detail in both situation and surroundings would suddenly stand out with tremendous significance, knowing it was the last time I would see or do anything. These intense feelings of dread and acceptance must be the objective of Roderick’s poem.

Then the outro hits:

“The crew compartment is breaking up.”

This line is repeated eight times. It is a raw statement of fact, from the observing thoughts of the commander, as he sees the rushing annihilation instantly upon them.

“The crew compartment is breaking up.”

I think the repetition adds the final something special to this song. The commander is thinking aloud, and this is it. This is what is happening:

“The crew compartment is breaking up.”

Heavy final thoughts. Very possibly the final thoughts, maybe even the final words, of Commander Rick D. Husband.

All of this and more is explained by the artist himself John Roderick in this excellent interview: http://songexploder.net/the-long-winters

That interview from Song Exploder is so insightful, that I was half tempted just to post a link and say nothing at all.

If you have a liking of astronomy and/or indie rock, I feel like “The Commander Thinks Aloud” is sort of perfect. It is a great song, even after a singular listening, it really stays with you.

- King of Braves.

No comments:

Post a Comment