Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat



Sometimes being repetitive is not a bad thing.

Sometimes simple songs are the best. A straightforward get the rock out, or call to the dance floor, can sometimes produce the greatest musical enjoyment in the world.

Sometimes you stumble across something unexpected that satisfies in more ways than one, and you are left wondering how to comprehend what you have just heard.

Enter, Church of the Cosmic Skull.

I do not know what to make of Church of the Cosmic Skull. They are rock band however they have adopted an interesting variety of influences that make them unique. There is a country influence on their sound. That keyboard organ sound is straight out of the gospel music. Everything about their sound just screams the southern United States to me. Naturally, they hail from Nottingham England. I would not have guessed that. I thought for sure they were some sort of southern rock, country, inexplainable fusion band, thus I figured they would have been American. But those British, there is a lot of talented people on the island of Albion.

Given my introduction to this review, you should anticipate that I am about to begin detailing a simple song by Church of the Cosmic Skull, and you be correct.

Enter, “Cold Sweat.”

It is possible there are fewer unique words in “Cold Sweat” by Church of the Cosmic Skull then there are in many instrumentals. Outside of intro, which is repeated once as a bridge, the chorus dominates the lyrical content of this song, and it is simply:

“You never woken with a cold sweat,
No, you never talk about it.
You never talk about it.
You never talk about it anymore.”


Easy to remember. Easy to sing along with. Easy to get hooked on.

It is possible that “Cold Sweat” is more complicated then I fully realize, but as near as I can tell, the entire song is one long mellow moment. The song plays like a series of high waves. “Cold Sweat” is a song written in pattern, the human brain loves patterns. The repeated format works very effectively here because there is a just enough variety thrown in to keep the song fresh and interesting after several listens, while the meat of the song is just an instant hook.

Time for a quick anecdote. Many times, when the roommate and I have had a rough week we will use the memory erasing device to help us cope. The memory erasing device is vodka. We get drunk, and watch anime and/or youtube videos, many of which tend to be AMVs. As you can imagine since one, or both of us, are trying to forget something, sometimes one of us, or both of us, can descend into a bad mood, and when that happens we have to dig deep and pick our next youtube video to be something that is upbeat. “Cold Sweat” by Church of the Cosmic Skull has become one of my go to upbeat videos.

It is possible that there is a darker context to “Cold Sweat” that I am failing to appreciate. However, I find it impossible to feel anything but positive about this song.

As I write this, as is often the case on this blog, I have only begun to discover the works of today’s artist, Church of the Cosmic Skull. Thus far the only song of theirs I have completely fallen in love with is “Cold Sweat,” and I suspect that is because of the immediate appeal of this song’s structure. It is catchy, instantly memorable, and fun. A great introduction to what I hope to discover is a great band.

Until next year, keep on rocking in the free world.

- King of Braves

No comments:

Post a Comment