Search This Blog

Saturday, September 14, 2019

The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop



The Ramones, one of the greatest punk rock bands of all time. They had immersible influence on bands that followed, not just in punk, or rock, but also metal, and weirdly country sometimes. Unfortunately, most of the Ramones are dead, so their musical adventure has come to an end. This does grant us the opportunity to reflect on their entire career all at once.

I have had the privilege of being alive for the majority of the existence of the Ramones, and I feel like my experience with this band is similar to that of the general publics. I had no idea who the Ramones were until sometime in the early nineties and by that time it was almost too late. As the Ramones began to die off and their careers began to end, the popularity of their music grew. Their popularity was seemingly mathematically inverted to their activity as artist. They were a partially unknown band for a long time, as were punks of their era, and society needed to catch up to fully understand and appropriately appreciate what they were doing. My interest in the Ramones runs parallel to this trajectory, the more the Ramones fade into the past, the more I pay attention to them, and the more I appreciate them, just like the general public has done.

When I was young and in high school, I remember someone, somewhere, say that all Ramone’s songs sounded alike. I have heard that remark again recently, though it escapes my memory once again where I heard it, and I think when I was young, I might have agreed with that sentiment, but not anymore, now I know better. I strongly suspect the origin of this misconception has everything to do with the popularity of the Ramones early works, which had a formula that was tried several times at that point in their careers. Like all great artists the Ramone’s changed their style over time and there is a wonderful variety in their later works. Today however, I want to talk about those early days and that style that made the Ramones icons of punk rock.

One the key things that made the Ramones special was the velocity of their music. There is a famous quote from one of the Ramones, which I could presumably look up on the internet, but I am going challenge myself by trying to quote it from memory, “our songs are not short, we just play them really fast;” pretty sure that is it, and no, I do not remember which Ramone said it. This thought, this quote, I think perfectly encapsulates the music of The Ramones early in their career. Their rifts were principally simple, and on paper, easy to play, but for those who dare to try to cover the Ramones, it is not as easy as it looks, at least it is not easy if you want to do it right. Matching that pace is very difficult.

This fabulous speed that Ramones played in, made them stand out. Their ability to play together in unison with the desire goal of racing through their songs is an incredible feat, and their live performances are so impressive there is no wonder why so many musicians that followed thought of them as champions and were so keenly inspired by them. Cross genres too, that is rare.

Back in my high school days, nearly two decades ago, I remember well smoking joints in the parking lot at school listening to “Blitzkrieg Bop,” sure there were other Ramones’ songs being played, but that song stands out in my memory uppermost.

“Blitzkrieg Bop” is the first track on the first album by the Ramones, so this does feel like an appropriate place to start a conversation about the Ramones.

“Blitzkrieg Bop” is a perfect example of that fast early years punk rock style which the Ramones invented. The song is a mere two minutes and ten seconds but would easily have been three and a half minutes or so if performed by a different group. The rifts are all simple but highly catchy. Everything the Ramones did back then was deceptive. The song “Blitzkrieg Bop” sounds simple, but the timing and exactness of the layers intertwining is genius level music. But I like “Blitzkrieg Bop” because it is fun.

“Blitzkrieg Bop” is an apex fun party punk rock song. The beat is fantastic, the entire song is one big wonderful hook. It is punchy with high energy and there is zero chance of it out lasting its welcome because it is so short and sweet. Even the lyrics, are about going out and having a good time mixed with a metaphor about military conflict. In a single word, I think “fun” is a good way to describe “Blitzkrieg Bop.”

It is insane that when I listen to “Blitzkrieg Bop” now, it does not sound to quick to my ears anymore. Maybe I have been conditioned over the years to Ramones’ music where I can absorb their sounds better, or maybe music has evolved from what the Ramones started and if I am really serious about studying music of great haste, these pioneers are no longer the craziest speed freaks of punk rock. The truth is probably both.

It pleases me that every recent Spider Man movie has a Ramone’s song on the soundtrack. The Ramones are the perfect choice for Spider Man. Firstly, one of The Ramones most infamous cover songs if their rendition of the theme song from the old Spider Man cartoon. When a musical group does something like that, they have forever linked themselves to that franchise. Additionally, the Ramones are music of youth, even though these songs came out forty years ago, they are timeless songs of youth, partying, and casual rebellion. You cannot be a rock band, or a punk rock band, without some presence of rebellion; that is just the rules.

It is a very good thing that the world continues to appreciate the Ramones more and more. As a guy who writes about music on the internet for fun, I like to fancy myself as someone in the know, and say something like “I liked the Ramones before they were cool,” but that would be a lie, I have followed the same trend as most people embracing the Ramones more and more over time; that statement is also inaccurate because the Ramones were always cool.

- King of Braves

No comments:

Post a Comment