Search This Blog

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Mertric - Twilight Galaxy



Wednesday July 10, 2019, Metric played the Coke-A-Cola stage at the Calgary Stampede. Someone warned me that this was happening, but I did not listen. I nearly missed it. Luckily for me my best friend, the same one I have mentioned numerous times recently on this blog, gave me a text out of the blue inquiring if I would join him on this adventure. We had seen Metric live once before at the Stampede Corral back in 2012, so we have been listening to Metric for a long time. Exactly how long my friend brought up numerous times before and after the show. We have been listening to Metric since 2002, seventeen years. Man, I still think of Metric as a new band. The passage of time is unrelenting, what I once thought of as new is now a classic.

So, we went and saw Metric. It was a great show. It was the sort of show where I was reminded just how many songs by Metric I like. They opened with “Dead Disco” and closed the show with their new track “Now or Never Now.” Other notable songs they performed include “Help I’m Alive,” “Gimme Sympathy,” “Breathing Underwater,” “Black Sheep,” “Gold Guns Girls” and a truly great performance of “Dress to Supress.” The fact I felt the need to list so many songs that Metric played should inform the reader of two facts, I really like a great many Metric songs, and I also really enjoyed this show.

Like all music performances, before the show I had a few songs in mind that I was hoping to hear, and one of the lesser famous songs of Metric’s I wanted to hear, but figured I would not, was “Twilight Galaxy.” The second song they played was “Twilight Galaxy.” Good times.

“Twilight Galaxy” appears on Metric’s fourth studio album Fantasy, released 2009. Fantasy is a powerhouse album by Metric. Easily their best album. Four of Metric’s biggest hit songs are present on Fantasy, “Gimme Sympathy,” “Help I’m Alive,” “Gold Funs Girls” and “Stadium Love,” three of which I got to hear at the Coke-A-Cola stage. The other songs on Fantasy while less well known, are range from good to great; there are treasures on Fantasy throughout, and to me, most importantly, the fourth track “Twilight Galaxy.”

It is possible that “Twilight Galaxy” is my favorite Metric song. This is one of those laid back and mellow songs that works perfectly as a background song to introspection, or meditation. There is a real nice cosmic feel to the whole thing, the dancing symphonics from the keyboard echo into deep space and assist us on our journey.

Studying the lyrics of “Twilight Galaxy” the story is no where near as cosmic as one might expect. I think the song is about acceptance.

The first verse:

“Did they tell you, you should grow up,
When you wanted to dream.
Did they warn you, better shape up,
If you want to succeed.
I don't know about you, who are they talking to?
They aren't talking to me.”


A common spirit of rock and roll is rejecting the status quo, and this opening verse ties into that. Maintaining a healthy youthfulness is important to free spirits. Resisting the social pressures to confirm and live an ordinary life can be fearful proposition.

The second verse I like a lot more:

“Did I ask you for attention,
When affection is what I need.
Thinking sorrow is perfection,
I'd wallow 'til you told me.
There's no glitter in the gutter,
There's no twilight galaxy.”


The struggle is real, and we can et addicted to sadness if we are not careful. Artistic expression is frequently drowned in sadness and wallowing in our self loathing is not as glamorous as we sometimes perceive it to be. There is no glitter in the gutter.

We have a half verse before the outro, which I believe sums up “Twilight Galaxy’s” message:

“I’m alright now,
Come on baby,
I’ve seen all the demons that you’ve got,
I'll pick you up and take you where you want.”


Facing our own demons can be challenge enough but accepting others for theirs can be equally challenging. Wrapped up is sorrowful creative thinking can surely be draining, sometimes our loved ones can help pick us up our of a funk.

But this raises a question, what is the “Twilight Galaxy?”

Giving my less than perfect knowledge of Metric’s songs, I have noticed a trend of dreaming big is regards to music and the dark side of such an endeavour being explored just as much as the great goodness of such a thing. “Twilight Galaxy” is present on the fourth Metric studio album, by which plenty of time had passed for Metric to become success and thus familiar with the reality of being a soft rock star. I think the “Twilight Galaxy” is the unrealistic expectations of artist, specifically, musicians, what they hope to experience and how they will live once their songs end up on the radio or after they create a strong following. There are no stories that are identical, and no two musical groups with identical experience or personalities to respond to this events, whatever was dreamed up was just that. There is no “Twilight Galaxy” and by 2009 a matured Metric knew that.

I return to my initial simple explanation of “Twilight Galaxy;” this is a song of acceptance. Accepting yourself for who you are, and what your life has become, and acceptance of those around you who discourage you sometimes.

But mostly, I just find the mellow sounds of “Twilight Galaxy” super relaxing.

Until next month keep on rocking in the free world.

- King of Braves

No comments:

Post a Comment