Search This Blog

Friday, October 23, 2020

Lucifer's Friend - Ride the Sky



Like most people, when I think of classic German rock I think of the Scorpions. Prior to the Scorpions, English speaking audiences did not pay very much attention to German rock and roll; however, that does not mean there were not a number of talented and interesting acts not already in the country earlier. For me, this exploration of early German classic rock has begun with Lucifer’s Friend.

Forming in 1970 Lucifer’s Friend is a great example of early progressive rock. They experimented with some unique sounds and were influenced by a wide variety of styles including jazz, and it shows there is more funk in their sound then most progressive rock bands of that era.

A bonus for me, is the discovery of the presence of John Lawton. This British singer fronted Lucifer’s Friend for their early days, but later in the late seventies he would join with Uriah Heep. I mostly remember him for his work on the album “Innocent Victim.” Lawton’s presence does explain why the singing voice sounded familiar, but this may also explain why the lyrics are all in English, as I believe Lucifer’s friend pre-dates the move of most music being sung in English from non-speaking nations.

Most recently I have been listening to Lucifer Friend’s self titled debut album, a logical place to start. If I am to be perfectly honest, the principle reason why this first album was the focus of my attention is the opening track “Ride the Sky.” I like the whole album, everything is very good, but “Ride the Sky” is easily the best song, and probably the only track I would deem great.

“Ride the Sky” is short and punchy. Just shy of three minutes long, this song comes and goes in just over a moment, but it stays with you, commends your attention. Strong rhythm section and fast tempo really let the song strike the ear. Basically, I really like it.

One reason “Ride the Sky” stands out on the album is the use of a French horn, at least I think it is a French horn as that is the only wind instrument listed as used by any of the band members. Peter Hecht on the organ, piano and French horn. It sounds sort of like an air raid siren to me, which I believe fits with the theme.

Another reason “Ride the Sky” stands out on the album is the use of the wailing intro that Lawton gives us. It is a very memorable intro. It is very good wailing.

To be perfectly honest, it was a cover of “Ride the Sky” that initiated any of us. I love Avantasia, and on the Lost in Space LPs, the first one, the final track is a cover of “Ride the Sky.”

Avantasia Cover: 

I was really curious who the vocalist other then Tobais Sommet was on this cover, it turns out it is drummer Eric Singer, who is best known for being the current day drummer of Kiss, but I always love him for his work on Avantasia. It is kind of cool, that I finally appreciate the singing voice of Eric Singer, I mean, his last name is Singer, so there is an obvious joke there lying in wait.

Given how short and fast “Ride the Sky” there is only three verse to dissect and all three end the same way,

“Mars, Venus and stars, shaking their heads at me.
No more todays, tonight I’ll be riding the sky.”


Which leaves us with only three additional sentences to make sense of this song,

“Traveling this dark world, leaving light behind,
Seeing things I shouldn’t see, new eyes I got to find.”


And,

“Hey world, look out I’m coming,
Friends pass me by and you saw me humming.”


And lastly,

“The smile on his face, turn me to stone,
The words that he spoke, wouldn’t leave me alone.”


My initial thoughts, before dissecting the lyrics too closely, was that this song was about death. With no more todays, I took as an end times reference, but I am not so confident this view makes sense anymore. If someone were to leave the planet, and go adrift in space, there would be no more days and nights, so that fits better with the viewership of Mars, Venus and the stars. I think this song is about a renegade astronaut, leaving the earth for good despite what others think about his chosen adventure. Since there are already so many songs about death and the end times, this very different theme is all the more delightful for me.

It is like, “screw it, I am out of here, I am taking to the stars. Tonight, I will ride the sky.” All sorts of fantastical science fiction short stories rise from my imagination when I think about this song this way. Presumably, that is one of the reasons I am always going back to “Ride the Sky.”

- King of Braves

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful to have stumbled upon this blog (through your review of "Rainbow Demon" )since most of the time you introduce me to new music that i wouldn´t have found otherwise.. keep up the great work ;)

    ReplyDelete